Friday, March 23, 2007

On Intelligence by Jeff Hawkins and Sandra Blakeslee

I picked up this book in the audble format as I freely admit that I have not the fortitude to read such a book but I will listen to it( I am a big fan of audio books, looove them).

Anyways Mr. Hawkins talks extensively of the brains use of patterns and pattern recognition and how it relates to how we physically move through the world.

All very cool stuff if not a little dry.

Then I was reading Dr. Ida Rolf's book on structural integration ( which is now known as rolfing, a deep tissue modality) and she made a statement which allowed my brain to put a couple things together, the proverbial light switch going on "muscles are sensory organs"

where you are in time and space, most of that feed back comes from the proprioceptors in your muscle tissue. The proprioceptors tells your brain what your body is doing, the brain recognizes the patterns and then makes the compensations required for the situation and away you go.

This is a gross over-simplication but it if you were in my brain then you would realize the awareness that just jumped out of my mind concerning the correlation between proprioception and compensatory patterns that people develop due to stress and habits placed upon the body.


My problem is I cannot verbalize very well what this all means, maybe I will try and come up with a more concise explanation after I let it churn around my brain box for awhile.

No comments: